Bloc Party's Kele Okereke: “Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says. I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit.” https://t.co/Rz0XgozFtp— NME (@NME) October 5, 2019
· In an interview with NME to promote his fourth solo album 2042, Bloc Party's Kele Okereke lamented the global political climate & specifically racism in the UK, describing London, where he grew up, as a "landscape drenched in animosity and racism"
· He says he's disappointed that more artists don't speak out against the rise of the far right and that so many artists silent when Morrissey publicly came out in support of white nationalist group Britain First. He admonishes Brandon Flowers specifically, following his comments that Morrissey is 'still a king', saying it's "bullshit" that Brandon doesn't care about what Morrissey says and that Brandon himself is "bullshit." He says it matters what people say and that it's "disgusting" that artists don't challenge Morrissey
· He says nothing will change if the burden of challenging racism rests solely on Black artists/artists of color and that the silence from white arists is "shameful"
· A song on his new album seems to specifically call out Kanye West. Kele says he's a huge Kanye fan and listened to MBDTF while making his own album but that he was disappointed to see Kanye at the White House and hear his comments on slavery. He says the idea that race doesn't matter once a person achieves success is a delusion
· In spite of all this, Kele says he's a naturally optimistic person & is inspired by young activists
this was difficult to summarize, pls be sure to read the actual article, there's a lot more