- During a speech at the New Zealand Power of Inclusion Summit Davis explained how a new digital tool will prevent film and television works from perpetuating underrepresentation and stereotypes;
- The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media has partnered with Walt Disney Studios to deploy a new digital tool that uses AI technology to assess film and television scripts for gender bias;
- The tool will be able to rapidly analyse a script to determine its number of male and female characters and whether they are representative of the real population. The technology can discern the numbers of characters who are people of color, LGBTQI, possess disabilities or belong to other groups typically underrepresented;
- It will also look at number of speaking lines for everyone;
- Disney is a pilot partner and will test the tool the coming year.
ONTD, I always tell my students that there's a difference between joining in and participating. How much change do you think Disney will allow in their products after having scored brownie points with this tool?