NFL veteran Ryan Russell came out as bisexual in a personal essay published by ESPN. https://t.co/kxnQPgNXGG— HuffPost BlackVoices (@blackvoices) August 30, 2019
- yesterday, former cowboys defensive end, ryan russell, came out as bisexual in a public essay. russell was drafted by the dallas cowboys in 2015 and last played for the tampa bay buccaneers in 2017. he wants the next football team to sign him to know who he truly is. “my truth is that i’m a talented football player, a damn good writer, a loving son, an overbearing brother, a caring friend, a loyal lover, and a bisexual man.”
- the lack of even one openly lgbtq player currently playing in the nfl, nba, nhl or mlb gives him pause, but russell wants to change that. “for me, for other athletes who share these common goals, and for the generations of lgbtq athletes who will come next,” he said.
- an openly gay athlete has never played a game for an nfl team. in 2014, michael sam became the first openly gay player drafted when he was selected by the st. louis rams, but he didn’t make the final 53-man roster. in 2017, former offensive lineman ryan o’callaghan came out as gay, years after his retirement from the league in 2011.
- russell said that athletes’ choices about whom they date are far from the nfl’s most pressing issues. “i can say with confidence that lgbtq players having the comfort to be themselves, date who they want, [and] share parts of their life with friends and teammates will not rank among those issues,” he said.
- russell also emphasized that he is still looking for a team. he was released by the buffalo bills last fall and that his choice to come out is not a choice to retire from the nfl. “i want to be able to dedicate my life to football without feeling like i can’t dedicate my life to truth as well.”
- read the reactions below:
Congratulations to Ryan Russell for sharing his truth and living an authentic life! His desire to make this process easier for LGBTQ professional athletes in the future is inspiring. 🌈 #EqualityForAll https://t.co/PR9zFOJS89— Billie Jean King (@BillieJeanKing) August 29, 2019
actor and activist, wilson cruz
“I know now truth is survival, and that we cannot survive in this world without vulnerability and love.” - Ryan Russell https://t.co/urv5oPFcBq— Wilson Cruz (@wcruz73) August 30, 2019
actor (house of cards, the mindy project, timeless), sakina jaffrey
grammy winning, multi-platinum producer, funkagenda
Hell of a great message to be putting out there man. Be your truest you! 🏳️🌈https://t.co/hqawKzKnLK— ☣️Funkagenda☣️ (@Funkagenda) August 30, 2019
sources 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
congrats to him and i hope the fuckshit league will allow him to play again.
mods, can you update the "lgbtq / rights" tag to "lgbtq people / rights"?