We spoke to the artists, producers, reporters and MTV staffers who witnessed the Kanye West/Taylor Swift #VMAs madness firsthand.— billboard (@billboard) August 21, 2019
Get the scoop on what you didn't see on TV the moment that Kanye rushed the stage below. https://t.co/BQcqjBlrmJ
Billboard spoke with artists, producers, reporters and MTV staffers about the Kanye West/Taylor Swift incident.
- Producer Jesse Ignjatovic was very excited about the show because of the "level of performances"
- staffers noticed that Kanye was drunk on the red carpet, he had a big bottle of Hennessy with him and was drinking form it the whole night
- Pete Wentz: "Man, Kanye is so drunk. Kanye came up to me inside Radio City and gave me his bottle of Hennessy, and he made me take a swig. The dude is so wasted.”
- MTV was worried that Kanye would offer the cognac to Justin Bieber, who was 16 at the time
- it was a long show and the incident happened pretty early
- the producers were shocked but thought it was "TV gold!”"
- in the following ad break P!nk went to Kanye and told him off
- Taylor was set to perfom soon after it and Viacom president Van Toffler was sent to check on her, both she and her mom were crying backstage.
- Kanye was ushered out of the venue and got yelled at by producer Dave Sirulnick
- Kanye was shocked that he got removed from the show
- reaction from the press room:
All-American Rejects singer Tyson Ritter: "Kanye's a jackass"
Billie Joe: "What the hell was that? Let the girl have her moment!"
- Beyoncé was crying backstage
- MTV admits that they knew who was going to win (duh), so they knew that Taylor would win something else later on so she could giver her speech
- Taylor went and aced her live performance and production was very impressed and thankful
- Van Toffler: "I never imagined we'd be talking about it 10 years later. It's also just the two particular artists are so still very loud in culture -- that's a big part of why people are still talking about it."
source 2 3 4