- beyoncé has curated a new album featuring international artists appropriately titled the lion king: the gift scheduled to be released july 19th. the album, as well as the film’s soundtrack, will feature a new beyoncé song called “spirit.”
- in addition to the gift, walt disney records will release the original soundtrack for the new live-action remake of the lion king on july 11th, which features “can you feel the love tonight?” performed by beyoncé and donald glover.
- [on the gift] “this is sonic cinema...this is a new experience of storytelling. i wanted to do more than find a collection of songs that were inspired by the film. it is a mixture of genres and collaboration that isn’t one sound. it is influenced by everything from r&b, pop, hip-hop and afro beat,” said beyoncé.
- she continues “i wanted to put everyone on their own journey to link the storyline. each song was written to reflect the film’s storytelling that gives the listener a chance to imagine their own imagery, while listening to a new contemporary interpretation. it was important that the music was not only performed by the most interesting and talented artists but also produced by the best african producers. authenticity and heart were important to me.”
- [director, jon favreau on "spirit"] “beyoncé performed and wrote 'spirit' in the spirit of the production.” beyoncé made the song with lebo m. and hans zimmer. “they were all collaborating with her and helping to bring this new piece of music into a film where there’s already a very established musical personality to the piece. so it was nice of them to have them working with her to allow the new song to feel organically a part of the new production.”
Beyoncé is dropping a whole album inspired by The Lion King, and the first single is beautiful: https://t.co/nSNRVzQEAd— Vox (@voxdotcom) July 10, 2019
- listen to "spirit" below:
sources 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
clearly beyoncé is sending a message to the academy of motion pictures and sciences and that message is "give me my things!"
shit-talking beyoncé will always be my fave beyoncé, but melodramatically-spiritual beyoncé is in my top 5.