During her set at Pride in the Park Chicago, Iggy Azalea used her platform to help educate her audience about violence against trans women. Inspired by a transgender fan from Chicago named Michelle, Iggy took the oppourtunity to read some unsettling statistics that highlight the reality of what it's like to be a black trans woman of colour in America.
"While I have the microphone, for Michelle, since nobody is listening to her voice and she doesn't have the platform that I have, I want to read everybody who's going to watch this online some statistics quickly about trans people that a lot of people need to hear."
The statistics that she read are:
- 50% of trans people have been raped or sexually assaulted
- 41% of trans people have attempted suicide
- 80% of trans students feel unsafe at school
- Black trans women have a life expectancy of 35
- 11 trans women of colour have been murdered in the US in 2019 (so far)
The video ends with Michelle making it to the front of the crowd, hopping on stage and hugging Iggy!
GLAAD, who are still promoting Taylor Swift's new single with unverified claims, have yet to acknowledge or promote Iggy's words.
Honestly, besides the Buckwild from Flavor of Love faux blaccent, this was really cool of her!