Source: 1, 2
- Pepe the Frog creator Matt Furie has won a lawsuit against Infowars and its host Alex Jones.
- Infowars had sold a poster with Pepe the Frog on it and made a profit of about $14,000.
- As part of the settlement, Infowars must pay $15,000.
- Furie and his lawyer say that it was never about making money.
- Since 2015 groups connected with the alt-right tried to claim Pepe by mixing images of the frog with white supremacy and Nazism.
- "The goal is to make sure the use of Pepe in association with hateful images and ideas stops, and if anybody thinks they're going to make any money by selling Pepe hate merchandise, they won't."
- Furie: Ultimately, I hope Pepe will live on as a symbol of peacefulness and of being a cool, chill frog that kids like to share with each other on the Internet.
end those racists!