- Neon and Hulu have acquired the North American distribution rights to Portrait of a Lady on Fire, a film directed by Céline Sciamma that is currently in competition at Cannes.
- Neon plans a theatrical release this year with an awards campaign in all categories.
- Plot: Marianne (Noémie Merlant), a painter, is commissioned to paint the wedding portrait of Héloïse (Adèle Haenel), a young woman who has just left the convent. Héloïse is a reluctant bride to be and Marianne must paint her without her knowing. She observes her by day, to paint her secretly.
- Neon also acquired another film in competition: Parasite, a film by Bong Joon-Ho.
- Plot: All unemployed, Ki-taek's family takes peculiar interest in the wealthy and glamorous Parks for their livelihood until they get entangled in an unexpected incident.
- Both films have been well-reviewed - check out some reviews and reactions under the cut.
For Portrait of a Lady on Fire:
Review from The Playlist
Also saw PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE today and it is so perfectly made it’s almost unnerving. Would be surprised to see a better movie here— Richard Lawson (@rilaws) May 20, 2019
Richard Lawson, reviewer at Vanity Fair
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE is a slow, quiet burn, intense and sensual. one shot and line near the end felt like someone took my heart and squeezed. it’s also 🗣 GOOOOOORGEOUS #Cannes2019— Emma Stefansky (@stefabsky) May 19, 2019
Emma Stefansky, writer at Thrillist
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE absolutely undid me. Céline Sciamma burns #Cannes2019 to the 🔥ground🔥with this shattering & seductive 18th century Adèle Haenel / Noémie Merlant romance about love & memory. Still levitating from the last shots.— david ehrlich (@davidehrlich) May 19, 2019
my review: https://t.co/832fszH35l pic.twitter.com/o56I4bZSd4
David Ehrlich, reviewer at Indiewire
Review from Little White Lies
Robbie Collin, reviewer at The Telegraph
Source 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Looking forward to both of these - the reviews are across the board fantastic so far.