How Smash Mouth’s ‘All Star’ Found a Second Life Through Memes https://t.co/toRnh4GLjO— People (@people) May 4, 2019
* "All Star" was released 20 years ago today(!)
* after submitting their album Astro Lounge, the label felt it didn't have a hit single and asked them to write something. Writer Greg Camp took inspiration from his Converse All Stars and wanted to write a song for kids who needed a "pep talk".
* song was a hit. Smash Mouth opened for the MTV Video Music Awards and also had guest spots on the soundtracks for Mystery Men, Rat Race, and Shrek.
* their follow up album flopped, and they were dropped from their label.
* re-purposed as a meme as early as 2009 which then evolved into videos like this:
* previously songs reached "icon status" only by "industry gatekeepers" but social media allows "the listening habits of millions to be documented instead of the ideas of a powerful few".
ONTD, do you have a favorite musical meme? I'm partial to the Mr. Brightside ones myself.
SOURCE | 2