- south korean born and berlin based dj, designer, producer, model, peggy gou has been named as the latest selector to curate the 69th edition of its long-running mix series, dj-kicks.
- gou's instalment will be released on june 28th and includes "hungoo," the first song she ever wrote.
- gou describes her addition to !k7's series as being "a portrayal of her musical journey," as opposed to a pure relfection of her dj sets. the 73-minute mix features tracks by aphex twin, kode 9, and pearson sound alongside jrms, an artist signed to her gudu label.
- the album artwork shows gou posing alongside a tiger. "as the first korean woman to contribute to the dj-kicks series i wanted to do something from my heritage," she said in a statement. "i chose the tiger, which is very important in korean traditions and a metaphor for my personality. as it is not humane to shoot with a real tiger, i and the photographer, jonas lindstroem, used a library image to make a composite. the tiger disappears when you turn to the inside-cover photo, to highlight that these beautiful animals are already extinct in my home country and in danger of disappearing from our world entirely."
- stream "pert" by hiver, a selection from the mix, below:
spacetime continuum, "fluresence"
peggy gou, "hungboo (dj-kicks)"
pearson sound, "earwig
pegasus, "perseguido por el rayo"
sly and lovechild, "the world according to sly and lovechild [andrew weatherall soul of europe mix]"
kyle hall, "flemmenup"
dmx krew, "epr phenomena"
shades of rhythm, "exorcist"
kode 9, "magnetic city"
the system, "vampirella"
black merlin, "kundu"
aphex twin, "vordhosbn"
r-tyme, "illusion [mayday remix]"
i:cube, "cassette jam 1993"
sources 1 | 2 | 3
i love her sound and style and tats. ontd, what's your favorite dj-kicks mix? hercules & love affair's has been my fave for a while.