Excerpts from the article after the cut.
- Developed anorexia at age 11, with the encouragement from her mom who also had history of disordered eating.
- Instead of feeling bothered by her mom’s suggestions as well as portion control and counting calories for her she felt like her mom was looking out for her.
- By the time she was in iCarly she would measure her thighs with a measuring tape before bed.
- When she was signed to a record label and her mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer at age 18, she began binge eating.
- At 21 she began resenting her status as a teen idol and didn’t believe she deserved it for playing Sam which fueled her into bulimia.
- States eating disorders in young Hollywood are highly competitive and there was a “disordered eating heirarchy” with anorexia overruling bulimia.
- Her sister in law stepped in when she was filming Between on Netflix and she started going to therapy and bringing her therapist to triggering events.
- After a breakdown at the Kids Choice Awards, her therapist had her admitted into an inpatient clinic but she stopped seeing her afterwards.
- “My throat frequently bled and I popped blood vessels in my eyes from vomiting so much. Once I lost a tooth after regurgitated stomach fluids wore down my enamel. Another time I passed out on my friend’s bathroom floor from dehydration”
- She’s been back in treatment for over 2 years with a new therapist rebuilding her relationship with food.
If you have time to read this, I highly recommend it. Good for her for speaking out.