10 Things I Hate About You is turning 20 — and it’s still too good to be true. https://t.co/yMnXSWlJZm— Vox (@voxdotcom) March 29, 2019
What makes the movie work 20 years later?
* Julia Stiles' Kat and how she asserts her "right to be a bitch in a world that was prepared to demonize her no matter what."
* the movie treats Kat as being correct in her anger. Patrick respects her rage. Kat even confronts her own internalized misogyny in her disdain for her "girly-girl little sister".
* the movie is also not above dragging Kat a little bit. Her black English teacher Mr. Morgan dismisses some of her "rich white girl problems".
* goes in depth discussing Julia Stiles' "fully realized teenage girl" and Heath Ledger's charismatic Patrick.
* also mentions the soundtrack and of course the "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" scene
* briefly touches on the movie's handling of consent
reminder on the 20th anniversary of 10 Things I Hate About You that Heath Ledger doesn't kiss Julia Stiles at a party because he's sober and she's drunk, and that consent has always been that simple, even in 1999! thank you! pic.twitter.com/rZaouiKIL4— Sammy Nickalls 🧚♀️ (@sammynickalls) March 27, 2019
* ends with a discussion of their favorite quotes ("That must be Nigel with the brie!" is a personal fave.)
ONTD, do you still love this movie? Do you still have the soundtrack lying around somewhere like me? What's your favorite quote?
SOURCES: 1 | 2