The new adaptation of Pet Sematary closed out SXSW and has been getting great reviews. OP is officially excited!
To everyone who are like “the trailer to #PetSematary gave everything away”, I’m just gonna sit here and LOL cause you have no idea what you are going to experience— HorrorDesignChick 🎃🍭 @ SXSW (@shannon_mcgrew) March 17, 2019
some reviews via Twitter (no spoilers)
#PetSematary: For years now, my wife @noaccentandrea has referred to Jason Clarke as The Professional Bad Husband. I mostly liked the film, but good goddamn, Clarke is the *perfect* actor for King’s brand of grief-stricken, evil-backsliding fathers. pic.twitter.com/k8VlybLzYh— Matthew Monagle (@LabSplice) March 17, 2019
- Says Pet Sematary is among the best of King adaptations.
- "It’s a layered, deeply sinister family nightmare that, yes, is packed with scares, but also a significant amount of complexity that takes those scares well beyond fleeting thrills."
- Says the cast is phenomenal, especially the child actors.
- Gives Pet Sematary an A-.
SXSW Film Review: ‘Pet Sematary’ https://t.co/zo5VUVUszA— Variety (@Variety) March 17, 2019
- Says the original Pet Sematary adaptation was one of the few to deliver.
- Says not enough is being done to distinct this film from the previous, but the directors do deliver on atmosphere, jump scares and the flashbacks involving the character of Rachel.
- The character of Victor Pascow will be "will be hard to erase from your mind" and is a "disturbing upgrade" from the first adaptation. Pascow is played by Obssa Ahmed.
#PetSematary is *vicious* and I LOVED it. Super brutal visuals and was thrilled to see Widmyer & Kölsch fully embrace the deeply unsettling themes of mortality from the book. And WOW Jeté Laurence. They really pushed it with this adaptation & it worked for me - big time. 😺 #sxsw— Perri Nemiroff (@PNemiroff) March 17, 2019
Lots (and lots) of thoughts on the new #PetSematary to come, but for now, what I will say is this: holy hell do I respect how bananas it gets in the third act. Absolutely not what I was expecting AT ALL.— Heather Wixson (@thehorrorchick) March 17, 2019
#PetSematary delivers a solid sense of dread from start to finish. It earns its well-timed jump scares, and terrific sound design and gnarly effects add extra layers of creepy. I think King fans will dig it.— Erik Davis (@ErikDavis) March 17, 2019
Move over Goose, it’s Church’s turn.#sxsw pic.twitter.com/jqkuLKOfWq
There are a ton more reviews if you search the hashtag on Twitter!
Some pics at the premiere.
Lastly: I'm jealous of anyone who got this poster.
SOURCES 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10