"My first single was more of a soul track, and I thought Calvin Harris sounded a bit more racially ambiguous. I thought people might not know if I was black or not. After that, I was stuck with it."
Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar
"People in the hood call me Bacardi, but, you know on Instagram... my Instagram used to get deleted a lot because, you know, 'Bacardi' ahhh, trademark! Illegal!"
- People commonly mispronounce her name.
- Paid $2,000 for 'Cardi'
Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta
"Gaga comes from the song 'Radio Gaga', which was a song that [Queen] did. Thank you, Queen, for inspiring my name."
- Music producer, Rob Fusari, was the first to call her Gaga in 2010.
- Her voice and style reminded him of Queen's song, 'Radio Gaga'
Source | Source
Pink (stylized as P!nk)
Alecia Beth Moore
"The name came from a lot of different places. It's been following me my whole life."
- First, some idiot boy pulled her pants down and laughed at her pink, blushie butt cheeks.
- Second, she looked up to Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs.
Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O'Connor
"It's that nobility, aristocracy obsession that I had. I hit upon 'Lord' and loved the way it sounded."
- Spontaneous choice she came up with at 16, which she's proud of.
- Added an 'E' at the end of 'Lord' to feminize it.
What's your favourite name?