* an homage to the adventure/horror movies of the 1930s that doesn't take itself too seriously
* the scarabs!
* villain not driven purely by revenge but love for Anck Su Namun. Protagonists are not pure of heart but selfish and arrogant at times.
* though not all the special effects hold up, it does not diminish the storytelling.
* Brendan Fraser brings a "passionate energy" that is missed in today's stars. Not afraid to be vulnerable or look dumb.
* Never has a dull moment and embraces horror element that the other movies in the series abandon.
* just plain fun. Cynical, gritty Dark Universe attempt misses the point.
OP NOTE: The Mummy was released almost 20 years ago, in May of 1999. I was 13 years old and fucking obsessed.