Another 10-task challenge. You obviously don’t need to do all 10 tasks, choose as many as you want, but I figured it gives you some variety and allows you to pick and choose movies that fit your taste but also maybe lead you to watch something you wouldn’t normally seek out. For each task, you can pick whatever movie fits within the guidelines, I've added links to help you out. I tried to add tasks that would allow you to get movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu – but there’s also Kanopy and Hoopla (both of which you can get free access through your library or university). Have a different movie for each task – that is, don’t have the same movie for task 2 and task 6.
This month I’m doing a theme. The Oscars are February 24th, so all tasks will have to do with past and present nominees and winners.
1. Watch any movie that is nominated for an Oscar this year (in any category, that includes short films) - list here.
2. Over the course of 91 years, there has been 12 movies nominated for Best Picture that were directed by women (that's out of 546 total nominated movies btw). Watch one of these 12 movies.
3. Watch any movie that won an Oscar AND is a part of the Criterion Collection. Choices here.
4. Watch any movie that won an Oscar for Best Score.
5. Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor are consistently the weakest of the 4 acting categories, so ignore them and watch any movie that won an Oscar for Best Actress OR Best Supporting Actress.
6. Watch any movie that was nominated for Best Adapted or Original Screenplay AND was written or co-written by a woman or women.
7. Watch any movie that won the Oscar for Best Cinematography (they used to split it by B&W and Color, watch whichever you prefer).
8. Watch any movie that won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar (if you want, you can expand your choices and watch any movie that has been nominated in the Best Foreign Language category, you can include this years nominees too).
9. Watch any movie that was edited by a woman and nominated for Best Film Editing.
10. There has been 43 movies that were nominated for the big 5 categories (Best Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor, and Actress), watch any one of these 43 movies.
- There has only ever been 3 movies to win all 5 of the big categories – It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, and Silence of the Lambs – watch one of these movies.
- There has been 41 Actors/Actresses to win 2 or more Oscars, pick one of them and watch a movie that they won an Oscar for.
- Last year Guillermo del Toro won 2 Oscars, watch any movie that he has recommended on Twitter.
- Watch any movie that is nominated in one of the two documentary categories this year (Best Documentary Feature and Best Documentary Short)
ONTD, what do you plan on watching this month? Did any of you actually do any of last month’s tasks or am I talking into a void?
Previous months challenge: January
SOURCES: Tasks by me, links in this post are: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15.