- As predicted earlier this week, Netflix will be giving several of their awards contenders a theatrical release before they arrive on streaming.
- Earlier Netflix releases like 22 July and Private Lives premiered in theaters and on Netflix at the same time, but Netflix is hoping the exclusive theatrical window sways Oscar traditionalists.
- Alfonso Cuarón's ROMA will open November 21 in Los Angeles, New York and Mexico. and will expand to select cities for the following two weeks. The film will be released globally on Netflix on December 14 and add theaters in the US.
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen Brothers film with Liam Neeson, James Franco and Brendan Gleeson) will open November 8 in select cities. It releases globally on Netflix on November 16 and will expand theatrically for a few weeks after that.
- Bird Box (with Sandra Bullock, Sarah Paulsen and Trevante Rhodes) opens December 13 in select cities. The film will be released globally on Netflix on December 21, and will have an expanded theatrical release in additional theaters in the U.S., Europe and throughout Europe.
Did Netflix figure out that they have to play ball to get the shiny statues?