Penn Badgley is back and starring as Joe Goldberg in the series adaptation of You, a thriller written by Caroline Kepnes. You, created by Sera Gamble (The Magicians) and Greg Berlanti (Riverdale), premiered last night to great reviews:
Meet Joe, @PennBadgley's character in @lifetimetv's new show #You, who is disturbingly like an older, more intense and pathological version of his #GossipGirl role of Dan Humphrey. https://t.co/1cHq7AjfU1— USA TODAY Life (@usatodaylife) September 7, 2018
- Gives You 3 out of 4 stars.
- "There are plenty of twists, exposed secrets and shocking moments of violence, but 'You' stays grounded by supplying a measured amount of dry humor, often at the expense of its sociopathic lead. Joe is scary, for sure, but he's also absurd, and the writers never forget that."
"While 'You' may come across as a big, fat cautionary tale to anyone who doesn’t have their online life locked down and secure, it also offers a covert and compelling study of modern dating. Take away the dead bodies and duct tape and notice how, despite the violent outcomes of Joe’s obsessions, this story is about two rather selfish people putting their own needs first."
"A vicious thrill; smart and mean in all the right ways, with a devilish sensibility and a clever, inviting pessimism" - @nytimes. Tune in to the season premiere of #YOUonLifetime TONIGHT at 10/9c on @lifetimetv. https://t.co/ndjl0HCZfs— YOU (@YouOnLifetime) September 9, 2018
- The show's two flaws are its title and that it didn't premier during the summer.
- Critics were given the first five episodes to review; critic here says that there are Dexter moments, and a Gone Girl vibe to the show.
- The show is never boring and is a "relief" "in an era of glassy dramas."
ICYMI, the main cast includes:
- Elizabeth Lail as Guinevere Beck
- Shay Mitchell as Peach Salinger
- Luca Padovan as Paco
- Nicole Kang as Lynn
SOURCES 1 2 3 4
Just an excuse to talk about the book and did anyone catch the show?