This festival has a long-term goal of including cisgender men. But, until sexual assaults cease to be a problem at music events, it will only be open to women, transgender and non-binary people. https://t.co/mAZ1ebrGRw— PinkNews (@PinkNews) September 6, 2018
The concept sprang from a tweet: “What do you think about us putting together a very cool festival where only non-men are welcome and that we host until ALL men have learned how to behave themselves?” https://t.co/IifBVgLsfy— New York Times Music (@nytimesmusic) September 6, 2018
Sources: 1 | 2 | 3
- Swedish comedian Emma Knyckare put together the Statement Festival at Banana Pier in Gothenburg. It lasted from August 31-September 1.
- It is "only open to women, transgender, and non-binary people." Knyckare came up with the idea after reports of sexual assaults at other music festivals in 2017.
- The festival only included "performances by women, transgender, and non-binary artists."
- Cisgender men who were part of a performing act were forced to stay in an area backstage nicknamed the "manpen."
- Comedians performed, too. This includes Nour El Refai, Petrina Solange, and Josefin Johansson.