While the majority of Oscar hopefuls tend to arrive in the second half of the year, Variety looks at the movies from the first half of 2018 that would be deserving contenders for the awards.
- Best picture: You Were Never Really Here, directed by Lynne Ramsay
- Best actress: Toni Collette, Hereditary
- Best original screenplay: Game Night, written by Mark Perez
- Best cinematography: The Rider, cinematography by Joshua James Richards
- Best costume design: Black Panther, costumes by Ruth E. Carter