• Netflix is coming through and saving the RomCom genre! 🙌
• Netflix's Set It Up was a hit over the weekend and tells the story of two office assistants (played by Zoey Deutch and Glen Powell) who “Parent Trap” and set their bosses up (played by Lucy Liu and Taye Diggs).
• “We are aware of what people are watching and how much they watch it and we notice that people are watching a lot of rom-coms. Even, like, the shittiest ones that are out there,” says Matt Brodlie who is in charge of Netflix's original film content.
• RomCom's were highly successful in the 1990's through the early 2000's but during the 2010's major studio's interests went elsewhere and on other genres. Major studios may have turned their back on the genre, but streaming and indie distributors have embraced the rom-com.
• Netflix has more upcoming romcoms on their schedule: currently in production is an Ali Wong's written Always Be My Maybe, The Second Summer which stars Riverdale's KJ Apa and Sierra Burgess Is a Loser which is produced by Y&R actor Thad Luckinbill.
• RomCom Queen Jennifer Lopez is returning to the genre later this year with Second Act, due for release on November 21, 2018. It's her first since 2012's What to Expect When You're Expecting.
• Not all is lost however, Crazy Rich Asians based on an adaption of Kevin Kwan's best-seller of the same name comes to theaters August 15, 2018.
• Sources also tell The Hollywood Reporter that more major studio's are now beginning to take interest in the genre again searching for more romcom scripts.
Do you enjoy RomComs?
Give me more Marvel films
whoops, forgot to source the trailer. sorry mods.
Sources: 1 | 2