It's 2018, but somehow only three women are directing major studio releases this year. And yes, you read that correctly. Indiewire rounded up twenty up-and-coming female directors to check out, five of whom are highlighted here:
- Wrote on all three Pitch Perfect films and directed Blockers, a raunchy comedy with a feminist voice.
- One of only three women with major studio releases in 2018.
- Directed an episode of Queen Sugar this year, and has directed several short films.
- Made her feature debut with Nancy, which was shown at Sundance and released last week in select theaters.
- Directed the short film "Night and Day".
- Won the Nora Ephron Award at Tribeca Film Festival this year for her feature directorial debut, Little Woods.
- Has directed a couple of short films ("Conventional", "Coward").
- Debuted her well-received first feature The Party's Just Beginning at Tribeca Film Festival this year.
- Directed the Sundance-winning drama Dead Pigs.
- Is now set to direct the Harley Quinn-centric Birds of Prey.
How sad is it that only three women are directing major studio releases this year? Who is your favorite female director, ONTD?