I spoke to Roger Federer for @WSJMag. We discussed the greatest tennis player ever debate - an impossible conversation, since game has changed -- but Federer said the player who probably had best case for tennis GOAT, man or woman, was:— Jason Gay (@jasongay) May 23, 2018
- Says they had completely different routes to success: "I came up through Switzerland with the federation, she did it with her dad and her sister. It’s an amazing story unto itself—and then she became one of the greatest, if not the greatest tennis player of all time."
- Serena's stats along with her prowess in doubles should make her considered not just the best female player but best overall
- Says it's unfair to compare early generations as they didn't play for records
- Serena, when the writer gave her Roger's opinion, responded with “I think we can say that about both of us, respectively.”
- Federer also says of wife Mirka “Without her, things would have turned out very differently.”
- Federer says he has accepted the end of his career will not 'perfect'. “I don’t need to be ranked [No. 1] or need it to be after a big title. If it happens that way, that’s amazing. But you can’t control it all. You have to put yourself out there, be vulnerable. I play because I love tennis, not because it needs to end with a [perfect] situation.”