– In an interview with Huffington Post, reporter Bill Bradley asked the father-son team Lawrence (ESB, TFA, etc.) and Jonathan Kasdan if Lando is pansexual. Jonathan Kasdan replied: “I would say yes," he emphatically said." There’s a fluidity to Donald and Billy Dee’s [portrayal of Lando’s] sexuality,” Kasdan continued. “I mean, I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie. I think it’s time, certainly, for that, and I love the fluidity ― sort of the spectrum of sexuality that Donald appeals to and that droids are a part of.”
– Jonathan: “He doesn’t make any hard and fast rules. I think it’s fun. I don't know where it will go."
– Lawrence Kasdan was more cryptic. When the reporter asked about the robot L3 joking about Lando's flirty attitude towards Han, he said, “That is her personality. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn’t.”
– Jonathan Kasdan also pointed out that they're conscious of representation and that they make a deliberate effort to put it into the movie or something: “There’s a line that [Jon Favreau’s character, Rio] has where he’s asking Han about the girl that he left behind, and he says, ‘Does she have big teeth?’” implying that such a feature would be appealing. It’s a joke in the movie, but we did want to hit on this idea that people’s ideas of what they’re attracted to all over the galaxy are very, very different and not exactly as set as ours are,” he said. Comparing LGBTQ people to like, big teeth I guess. And aliens. They're the same thing. This queering of heterosexuality........ when will JKR?
– This comes in the wake of other Lucasfilm and Disney controversies. Lefou in BATB, the kiss between Finn and Rose killing chances of Finn/Poe, and of course Amilyn in TLJ having her pansexuality hinted at in the Leia: Princess of Alderaan novel (which also conflated being LGBTQ with being attracted to aliens) but have no relevance in the actual movie: “A pair of pretty dark eyes.” Then Amilyn thought about that for a moment. “Or more than a pair, if you’re into Grans. Or Aqualish, or Talz. Or even —” “That’s all right!” Leia said through laughter. “It’s just humanoid males for me.” “Really? That feels so limiting.” “Thank goodness it’s a big galaxy.”
– Lucasfilm and Glover have yet to comment. As of now it isn't canonical yet I guess. Also remember how Jonathan said the movie was an opportunity to show Han being "truly attracted" to a woman.
"I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie." Congrats on having intentions!!! https://t.co/k4rWeo5vD3— Jackson McHenry (@McHenryJD) May 17, 2018
Lando to Han: "You might want to buckle up, baby"— MJ Franklin (@heyitsfranklin2) April 9, 2018
Me: *indiscernible homosexual screeching* pic.twitter.com/PyW4CRzlby
*kathleen kennedy wakes up* what’s today’s statement *spins large bingo cage* lando calrissian… is… pansexual and… he later joined the rebels— Jacob Shamsian (@JayShams) May 17, 2018
ONTD, how do you feel about the romances in the new films? Will Disney acknowledge gay people exist before the sun explodes and destroys the earth?
Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7