Damn, it feels good to be an alien. #ALIENDAY 👽— Alien (@AlienAnthology) April 26, 2018
What is Alien Day?
Alien Day is celebrated on April 26th as an official event organized by 20th Century Fox. It started in 2016 and it's celebrated with special releases, announcements, competitions, and even the original films are shown in some theaters around the world. Why April 26th? It's referencing the moon on which Aliens is set: LV-426.
For more info please see: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Day
Comics & Books:
Celebrate #AlienDay with ALIENS: DUST TO DUST #1! A new #Aliens miniseries by @gabrielhardman with @rainberedo, variant cover by @CDeeAnda. The Trono colony on LV-871 is under attack. Emergency evacuations ordered. Can the humans survive? https://t.co/wW2URykxXu pic.twitter.com/CNBfrLAcoc— Dark Horse Comics (@DarkHorseComics) April 26, 2018
A terrifying coming of age story by writer and artist Gabriel Hardman. Some of the films he storybaorded include Batman: The Dark Knight Rises, Logan, and Dawn of Planet of the Apes.
The Cold Forge, by author Alex White, adds to the Alien mythology as it continues after Hadley's Hope colony on LV-426, which was depicted in Aliens. Interview with the author at the source.
La La Land Records has released a limited edition of Alien 3 score.
There is a free-roaming VR experience, ALIEN: DESCENT, now open at the Outlets at Orange. More info here.
REMEMBERING THE MOVIES: BEHIND THE SCENES, INTERVIEWS, ETC
Rarely seen footage:
H.R. Giger at work on the original Alien.
Ridley Scott talking about how he landed the gig directing his iconic sci-fi horror.
- Apparently he wasn't the first choice. And Fox was surprised when he said that he loved the script.
- He storyboarded the whole film as negotiations took place over the course of a month.
- He got the budget doubled from 4.2 million to 8.6 million.
- Sigourney Weaver practiced her slam dunk and got it on the sixth take.
- Alien 3's penal colony had no guns because Weaver demanded all guns be removed from the script.
- Meryl Streep was supposed to audition for Ripley, but didn't at the last minute.
- One of Joss Wedon's suggested endings for Alien Resurrection can be found here.
- We could have had a royal facehugger in Fincher's Alien 3 (it can be found in the "assembly cut" of the film).
Revisit why Ridley Scott's 1979 masterpiece is so lasting and relentless
- Cool backstory that involves John Carpenter - he and Dan O’Bannon came up with an early version of Alien in what they called Star Beast. They parted ways and Carpenter told O'Bannon to keep the idea. 20th Century Fox was looking for a new project as its Dune project with Alejandro Jodorowsky was having issues in pre-production. O'Bannon gave them the script for Star Beast and the rest is history.
- Article ponders how Alien got to the point of having its own "holiday" - going into the contradiction of the xenomorph, sexuality and birthing, the great direction by Ridley Scott, and the simple fact that Alien came out at just the right time in cinema.
FUNKO JOINS THE FUN
...by releasing an exclusive new Alien pop!
Expand your 8-bit collection for #ALIENDAY by grabbing this #ALIEN Video Game DecoPop figure from @OriginalFunko! It has an orange-and-blue shade effect and measures 3 3/4 inches tall: https://t.co/YOIDaKm2oo pic.twitter.com/OtXOjsJt1j— Alien (@AlienAnthology) April 26, 2018
(He's on The Expanse)
QUESTION FOR THE ONTD BOOKWORMS OUT THERE...
In the mood to watch a film in the series? Find out where the Alien films are streaming online here!
SOURCES 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18