Terry Gilliam has been trying to get his film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote made for almost 20 years, with stars like Ewan McGregor, Johnny Depp, Jean Rochefort, John Hurt, Robert Duvall, and Jack O'Connell attached at various times.
The movie's now been finished with Adam Driver and Johnathan Pryce in the lead roles. It was slated to close the Cannes film festival next month, but lawyers for Alfama Films—which announced the film alongside Gilliam at Cannes in 2016— and (former) producer Paulo Branco have called the move "patently illegal" and "in defiance of three judicial decisions."
One of the lawyers, Juan Branco (Paulo's son, who also represented WikiLeaks' Julian Assange), says that Gilliam et al. "knew that law was against them" but tried to "railroad" the film through Cannes before the court's final decision.
On the other hand, Gilliam says that Branco Sr. lost any ownership of the film when he failed to raise sufficient funds to make it, and that he "had nothing to do with the [final] film. His demands are laughable, absurd. He is trying to make as much money as he possibly can from a film he did not produce." The film's French distributor Philippe Aigle (of Oceans Films Distribution) agrees.
The current producers, including Jeremy Thomas’ Recorded Picture Company, call Branco's claims “preposterous” and have initiated lawsuits of their own in four other countries.
This newest motion will be heard May 7, the day before the Cannes film festival begins.
Lost in La Mancha, a documentary about the film's stilted production, was released in 2002.
The trailer was posted earlier this month.