With a breakout TV series, a historic Emmy, and a propulsive role in Steven Spielberg’s #ReadyPlayerOne, screenwriter-producer-actress—and V.F. cover star—@LenaWaithe is re-writing the rules for the next generation https://t.co/1i72DVMOFg #VFxLena pic.twitter.com/zlgkYBCyZM— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) March 22, 2018
- Profile written by writer Jacqueline Woodson, photographs by Annie Leibovitz.
- Lena says she didn't need an Emmy to tell her to work - she's been writing and developing.
- “The hardest thing about being a black writer in this town is having to pitch your black story to white execs.”
- The author asks when there'll be a lesbian Moonlight, and Waithe says that already exists in Dee Rees's Pariah.
- Loves fashion; "I try to wear queer designers who happen to be brown and makin’ shit."
- When asked about Aziz: "“At the end of the day, what I would hope comes out of this is that we as a society . . . educate ourselves about what consent is—what it looks like, what it feels like, what it sounds like. I think there are both men and women who are still trying to figure it out. We need to be more attuned to each other, pay more attention to each other, in every scenario, and really make sure that, whatever it is we’re doing with someone else, they’re comfortable doing whatever that thing is, and that we’re doing it together. That’s just human kindness and decency.”
There’s so much I love about Lena Waithe’s Vanity Fair profile. Jacqueline Woodson wrote it. Annie Leibovitz shot the photos. Lena’s wearing a @wellreadblkgirl shirt in the photos (!!!). And she’s watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show. What have we done to deserve all this goodness? pic.twitter.com/bK9xYgmFgK— Evette Dionne 🤷🏾♀️ (@freeblackgirl) March 22, 2018
“How has the Emmy changed me? It got me all these meetings that I go in and say I’m too busy to work with you. You should’ve hollered at me.” Fave quote in the superbly crafted @JackieWoodson cover about the regality + reality of @LenaWaithe. Plus #AnnieLeibovitz pix like what. pic.twitter.com/5alVJHkrCL— Ava DuVernay (@ava) March 22, 2018
Source 1 2 3 4
The article is long, but a good read!