- Jim Carrey was sued in 2016 by his deceased ex-girlfriend Cathriona White's estranged mother (Brigid Sweetman) and husband (Mark Burton, Scientologist) alleging Carrey provided the drugs that were used by White to commit suicide.
- It was also alleged that Carrey gave 3 different STD's to White while they were dating.
- Carrey countersued by claiming that Sweetman and Burton "were an attempting to exploit a famous actor and extort him by threatening to go to the media with fake allegations about STD's."
- White obtained a negative Planned Parenthood STD test from her friend from 2013, backdated it to 2011 and replaced the friend's name with her own. White then asked for "millions" in settlement. Carrey paid White an undisclosed sum as settlement for this claim.
- Carrey's team concluded that the Planned Parenthood test was forged; the original case filed by Sweetman and Burton was then dismissed.