- Hadn't grown up with Star Wars.
- On auditioning: Role was noted as "any ethnicity". 5 part audition months apart from summer to fall.
- Lied to her parents that she was shooting an indie in Canada when shooting Star Wars in London.
- After filming Star Wars, traveled to South Africa and worked in an endangered wildlife reserve. Housed with a dozen people and lied and said she was an office temp (though later they emailed her about it when Rose toys came out). Also went to Vietnam to work with orphans and took her parents back to Vietnam (parent's first time in Vietnam in 40 years).
- On Carrie Fisher: "The best thing about Carrie that I witnessed was that she was just purely honest. No matter how messy that was, or how complicated that was.” "...without even protecting me, she was. Just by being herself."
- On John Boyega: "We connect on different levels because our parents are immigrants, we’re both people of color, nerds, and he’s just hilarious.”