Harvey Weinstein accused of threatening actresses into wearing his wife's fashion label https://t.co/Dem2V6Zs3u— The Independent (@Independent) October 11, 2017
● Georgina Chapin and Keren Craig launched Marchesa 2004. That same year Georgina met Harvey Weinstein at a party (love at first $ight)
● While still running the label out of an apartment A-list actresses like Renée Zellweger (Oscar winner that year for Miramax's Cold Mountain), Cate Blanchett (The Aviator) & Diane Kruger (National Treasure) were seen wearing the little known Marchesa brand to their major movie premieres (which also happen to be Disney/Miramax films)
● Felicity Huffman was told by Harvey Weinstein that he wouldn't put any money behind promoting Transamerica unless she wore Marchesa on the red carpet. (She went on to wear Marchesa to the premiere and the Golden Globes where she won Best Actress)
● Sienna Miller (Factory Girl) wanted to wear a gown by another designer that she liked but was told by her management that because she was sitting with Weinstein and Chapman at the Golden Globes he would be very upset if she didn't wear Marchesa. She wore Marchesa.
● When hollywood stylist Rachel Zoe partnered with Weinstein to acquire the 70s label Halston her high profile clients (some of whom had Weinstein Company projects as well) like Anne Hathaway, Mischa Barton, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie etc were seen wearing Marchesa to various events.
● Harvey bragged to Vogue in 2013 about having Renée wear Marchesa to her Bridget Jones 2 premiere (which put the brand on the map) “Maybe I helped, but just very, very little, with Renée Zellweger”
● For over a decade many actresses who have had movies with Miramax/TWC were seen wearing Marchesa while promoting.
● Many insiders are speculating whether a brand built on hollywood actresses (many that felt obligated to wear Marchesa so they wouldn't upset a powerful man and risk their career) can now survive.