Why are there no people of color in Dunkirk? pic.twitter.com/sxTIWtKaqX— AJ+ (@ajplus) August 12, 2017
- Except 2 black extras who appear in 1 crowd scene the film Dunkirk shows 0 PoC
- 2 million South Asian soliders were involved in WW2, most fighting for the British; indian mule regiments were present at Dunkirk.
- the British were ordered to leave the Indian soldiers behind, but commanders on the ground defied the orders and most of the Indian soliders were evacuated, though some were captured just short of Dunkirk and died as prisoners of war.
- By 1938 Lascars from South Asia and East Africa counted for 1 of 4 crewmen on British merchant vessels, participating in large numbers in the evacuation of Dunkirk.
- By not showing the PoC who fought and were present at Dunkirk the film whitewashes history + Britain's colonial past, dangerously appealing to racists.
source 1 2 3
submitting this on behalf of another ontder who wishes to stay anonymous