The Last Jedi: Can Rey save Luke Skywalker from his own darkness? https://t.co/9FbujuFDbP— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) August 9, 2017
- Rey doesn't really get a warm welcome from Luke and it's new for her because she's made fast friends so far with all the new people she's met (Finn, Han, Leia, BB-8, Chewbacca).
- She doesn't go to Luke expecting to become a hero herself but to get him back into the fight.
- Uncovering her past is a big part of Rey's future.
- While working with Luke she will find that together they may be whole again.
- Luke has doubts about his connection with the Force after mistakenly thinking his flop nephew was the chosen one and he feels guilty about how he couldn't detect that darkness in him.
- Luke will discover that there's nowhere he can run to escape himself.
- He has become less hopeful and more regretful, wishing he could be what Obi-Wan wanted him to be.
The Last Jedi: With Finn and Rose, a 'big deal' is redeemed by 'a nobody' https://t.co/3G9mUTCdHI— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) August 9, 2017
- Finn initially just wants to peace out, maybe find Rey and go off together.
- He has actually become a big deal in the Resistance and to all the people that have been impacted by the First Order.
- Rose is a nobody/background player while her sister Paige is the dynamic one, fighting on the front lines as a gunner alongside Poe.
- Rose being just like everyone else and not royalty or a chosen one is what makes her an interesting addition.
- Rose is star struck by Finn, and that vision she has of him as a good and brave guy becomes something to live up to. It's his opportunity to be the best he can be and while he still may have the urge to run, he eventually stays in the fight.
source: 1, 2, 3