Stephen Colbert is the InStyle cover boy for one of 5 subscriber-only special editions, for the September 2017 issue.
- On his show: “Today you’ll feel better, but these shows are cotton candy dropping in water, and I don’t pretend otherwise. I used to joke to Jon [Stewart] that we are shouting jokes into an Altoids can and throwing them off an overpass. Nobody remembers. [...] “There’s a perception of journalists or the audience of getting something from us beyond the joke. But... we’re just making jokes about people’s daily experiences. My show will have no effect on the world.”
- Colbert arrived to this photoshoot with his very own cut-off suit and white T-shirt and dad jeans
- A Katz Media Group study found that Colbert’s ratings went up in 18 of the 23 Nielsen-metered markets where Trump won a majority
- On his Russia trip: “I didn’t take anything out of the United States. I left my phone, my Apple watch, my iPad, and my laptop because you have to assume that the FSB [Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation] has complete control over your devices from the moment you get there.”
- On his Emmy-nominated live election night special: “I just drank. I drank a lot of bourbon onscreen. We didn't know what to do.” They lurched through the show, and then Colbert went home to New Jersey. He normally stays in the city when he is shooting, but “my wife was like, ‘I would prefer that you come home, please. I don’t want to sleep by myself tonight, you know?’"
- Colbert could be the first Emmy emcee in TV history to take home several awards while hosting
- About being uncomfortable: "I don’t know what it is about my past: I either want to have an immediate, intimate affection with you or I don’t want to talk to you at all. And it’s my fault if [the affection] doesn’t happen. So that’s my hesitancy, or that’s my discomfort with people."
(pictured above with new InStyle editor, Laura Brown)
Full interview + videos @ source 1 & 2