- Tells the story of Dee Dee Blancharde and her daughter Gypsy Rose, who lived together in Springfield, MO.
- Gypsy was known to the outside world as a terminally ill child who was cared for by her mother. They received a Habitat for Humanity home, trips to Disney World and media attention because of the struggles caused by Gypsy's health and the fact that her mother was low-income.
- Dee Dee claimed that Gypsy was terminally ill, a quadriplegic, had leukemia, muscular dystrophy, epilepsy and intellectual disabilities, among other things.
- Gypsy endured a number of operations (including having her salivary glands removed), was prescribed several medications (including seizure medications that caused her teeth to fall out) and had a feeding tube inserted.
- In June 2015, after disturbing statuses were posted to their joint facebook account, neighbors called the police. Dee Dee was found stabbed to death in their home and Gypsy was nowhere to be found.
- Initially neighbors were worried that Gypsy had been kidnapped or otherwise harmed.
- Turned out Gypsy, who was not ill and could walk, had conspired to kill her mother with her online boyfriend, Nick Godejohn, who is said to be on the autism spectrum and has a history of mental illness himself. Nick stabbed Dee Dee while Gypsy listened from the bathroom. They then ran away to Nick's home in Wisconsin where he lived with his parents.
- Dee Dee apparently had Munchausen by proxy and fabricated all of Gypsy's ailments and lied to everyone, including Gypsy. According to Gypsy's father, this behavior started when Gypsy was around three months old. It continued throughout Gypsy's life up until her mother's death.
- Gypsy plead guilty to second degree murder and was sentenced to 10 years in prison, a reduced sentence due to the extraordinary circumstances of the case.
This premiered last night on HBO. Did anybody watch? This story was wild. The summary above isn't even the whole of it.