Yesterday the Chicago Cubs had a rally and parade in Chicago celebrating their first World Series win in 108 years. Officials are now saying that 5 million people were in attendance which makes it the largest gathering of people ever in the United States and number seven for gatherings worldwide.
The current ranking is as follows (shockingly none of which are in Brazil) -
1. Kumbh Mela pilgrimage, India, 2013 - 30 million
2. Arbaeen festival, Iraq, 2014 - 17 million
3. Funeral of CN Annadurai, India, 1969 - 15 million
4. Funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, Iran, 1989 - 10 million
5. Papal gathering in the Philippines, 2015 - 6 million
Both the Cubs rally and 1995 World Youth Day follow with a total of 5 million each.
Source 1 and 2
These posts are going to stop soon so don't worry about it non-baseball ONTD. I just thought the numbers were really interesting.