PAKISTANI ACTOR FAWAD KHAN
- On the 18th of September, an attack on an Indian base in Kashmir killed 18 soldiers. India accuses Pakistan of being responsible, who denies it. Tension is rising between the two nuclear powers, who have fought two wars over Kashmir.
- Because of the crisis, the Indian Motion Pictures Producers Association has banned Pakistani actors and technicians from working in Bollywood "until normalcy returns". Actor Anupam Kher called for all Pakistani actors in India to publicly condemn the attack on the Indian base.
- Major cinemas in Pakistan have banned Indian films in response
- Prominent Pakistani actors in Bollywood include the much beloved Fawad Khan, Mahira Khan and Ali Zafar.
- It is expected that there will be disturbances and protests by nationalists when heartthrob Fawad's upcoming film, the Karan Johar-directed Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, premiers later this month - even though he only has a special appearance. Fawad was supposed to fly to India to help promote the movie, but will be staying put in Pakistan. It is unknown when (or if) he will be able to return to work in Bollywood. His most recent role in India was that of a gay man in the family dramedy Kapoor & Sons, for which he was universally praised. (None of the top Indian actors wanted the role because they didn't want to play a gay man). After many calls from the public and media, Fawad recently made a public statement asking for peace.
- Mahira Khan has an upcoming movie with Shahrukh Khan, but it is scheduled for January 2017 and may yet escape the backlash. However the actress also had to make a public statement condemning "any act of terror, any loss of life".
Sources 1 2 3 4