- Was interviewed for 60 minutes by Anderson Cooper to promote the upcoming release of Birth of a Nation which he wrote, directed, produced and starred in.
- Parker alongside Jean Celestin, co-writer of Birth of a Nation, was accused of rape while in college by a fellow student. Parker was acquitted while Celestin was convicted and went to jail, though his sentence was later overturned on appeal.
- I don’t feel guilty. As a Christian man, just being in that situation, yeah, sure. I’m 36 years old right now. And my faith is very important to me. You know, so looking back through that lens, I definitely feel like it’s not the lens that I had when I was 19 years old.
- But, you know, at some point I have to say it. You know, I was falsely accused. You know, I went to court. And I sat in trial. You know, I was vindicated. I was proven innocent. I was vindicated. And I feel terrible that this woman isn’t here. You know, I feel terrible that, you know, her family had to deal with that. But as I sit here, an apology is — no.
- The reality is Jean went to jail for something he did not do. So when it came time to write this story I said, ‘Well, you want to help with this?'
Reminder that Queen of Katwe is out in wide release now, Ava DuVernay's new movie The 13th is on netflix Oct 7, Moonlight opens in limited release October 21, Loving opens in limited release Nov. 4 and Julie Dash's Daughters of the Dust is being re-released November 18!