- Box Office trends have made it very clear that movies need China to profit
- To win over attention from the Chinese audience, Hollywood would use chinese actors (usually only seconds of footage) to lure them in
- The chinese audience has noticed
- The Wall Street Journal talks about this and how 2 movies treat the same actress (Fan Bing Bing in Iron-Man 3 and Xmen: Days of Future Past)
- She only appeared in the Chinese addition of Iron-Man 3, the rest of the world did not see her
- In Xmen, she had a bigger role but only one line, the rest was her grunting and screaming
- The chinese audience have developed a phrase for this, called 'Flower vase'
- This is used to describe when female characters can be replaced by inanimate objects and the plot would not be impacted
- “We understand that a Chinese character will not be a lead role in the film. But if you can at least do that, the local audiences will not criticize it," said Qiu Jie (executive chief of a Beijing studio)
ONTD, do you think this will open doors for Asian American actors?