- Multiple reports say Ryan Lochte has been handed a 10-month ban by the United States Olympic Committee and USA Swimming in response to the false robbery incident.
- This means Lochte will miss next year’s world swimming championships. His participation in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo (which Lochte had said he "considers") is also increasingly unlikely.
- Lochte was quoted saying, “I was intoxicated. I was immature, and I made a stupid mistake. I’m human, and I’m just really sorry."
- Lochte has lost four major sponsors since the incident (including Speedo) but also attracted another one, Pine Bros Softish Throat Drops. He's currently scheduled to appear on the upcoming series of Dancing With The Stars.
- The USOC has apologized for the behavior of the US swimmers and stated that their behavior is "not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA." In contrast, IOC spokesman Mario Adrada previously made headlines when he said, "No apologies from [Lochte] or other athletes are needed. [...] They had fun, they made a mistake, life goes on."
Source: 1 2
What do you think, ONTD? Is that a fair punishment?