A lot of new info about the series have been revealed by series producer/showrunner Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, American Gods):
About the show:
- Female lead character, human non-captain Starfleet officer, will be referred to in the series as “Number One,” in honor of Majel Barrett's character in the original pilot.
- The first season of “Star Trek Discovery,” which begins airing in January, with 13 episodes.
- It might be the first live-action season of “Star Trek” to NOT to utilize time travel.
- The writing of the first 3 episodes are already completed.
- Casting announcements will start in October: "We've met with fantastic actors and of course there are people I've worked with before that I'd love to see on Star Trek. We're trying to figure out everybody's schedules." - Fuller said.
New Writing team:
- Screenwriter Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek Into Darkness) co-wrote the first hour of the pilot and the second hour was written by Nicholas Meyer ("Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home,” “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country”)
- Fuller has hired co-showrunners in the form of writing team: Gretchen Berg & Aaron Harberts, who worked with Fuller on “Wonderfalls” and “Pushing Daisies.” Also joining the writing staff is Jesse Alexander (“Alias,” “Heroes,” “Hannibal”) and Kemp Powers (“The Shooting,” “One Night in Miami”).
- TNG/DS9/Voyager/Discovery writer Joe Menosky, Star Trek novelist Kristen Beyer and TV vet Aron Eli Coleite are all also on the “Star Trek Discovery” writing staff.