(Warning: Videos may play ads after hitting play. Even if you are using an adblocker, there may be a 30 sec wait and non-Youtube videos may take a while to appear.)
- The 39th Japan Academy Awards took place on March 5th, recognizing Japan's best films of the previous year.
- Actress/model Hirose Suzu made waves in the film "Umimachi Diary" (aka "Our Little Sister") which won the Best Picture award.
- *"Our Little Sister" tells the story of three sisters who take in their teenage half-sister after their father dies and leaves her without anyone else to take care of her.
- Ninomiya Kazunari from the male idol group Arashi won Best Leading Male for his role in "Haha to Kuraseba" (aka "Living with My Mother" or "Nagasaki: Memories of My Son")
- *Ninomiya Kazunari is an actor, singer, radio host, television personality, and part of the male idol group Arashi. Those outside of Japan might know him from his role as Private Saigo in "Letters from Iwo Jima." Arashi is a five member male idol group formed in 1999 that is basically the face of Japan at this point since they star in several dramas, host several variety shows, and have tons of hit singles and albums. They appeal to all ages and are used in many campaigns to promote Japan across the globe. Part of the Johnny's Entertainment empire that basically almost has a monopoly on male idol groups in Japan.
- *"Living with My Mother" is the story of a son (Ninomiya Kazunari) whose spirit reappears in front of his mother 3 years after his death in the atomic bombing of Nagasaki due to her inability to let go.
- Hirose Suzu, from the above mentioned movie, is also set to lead with Yamazaki Kento in the live-action film adaptation of the comic "Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso" (aka "Your Lie in April") this November.
- *Wikipedia describes the plot of "Your Lie in April" as:
Piano prodigy Kousei Arima dominated the competition and has become famous among child musicians. After his mother, who was also his instructor, died, he had a mental breakdown while performing at a piano recital at the age of eleven. As a result, he is no longer able to hear the sound of his piano even though his hearing is perfectly fine. Two years later, Kousei hasn't touched the piano and views the world in monochrome, without any flair or color. He has resigned himself to living out his life with his good friends, Tsubaki and Watari, until, one day, a girl changes everything. Kaori Miyazono, a fourteen-year old audacious, free-spirited violinist whose playing style reflects her manic personality, helps Kousei return to the music world and shows that it should be free and mold breaking unlike the structured and rigid style Kousei was used to.
- Toda Erika has been announced to reprise her role as Amane Misa in the upcoming "Death Note 2016" live action film coming this October.
- *"Death Note 2016" is a sequel to the "Death Note 2" movie and takes place 10 years after L and Kira go head to head and blah blah blah there's a virus or something idk. Look it up if you're interested.
- "Nanimono" (aka "Somebody"), the best-selling novel from Asai Ryou, is getting a film adaptation. Miura Daichi is set to direct and its full cast has been revealed. It is to be released this October.
- *Asian Wiki describes the film as:
5 university students gather to exchange information on their job search activities. They encourage each other and post their thoughts & worries on Twitter, but behind that they have a lot on their minds.
Takuto Ninomiya (Takeru Satoh) observes those around him. His roommate Kotaro Kamiya (Masaki Suda) has a bright personality and communicates well with others. Mizuki Tanabe (Kasumi Arimura) is Kotaro Kamiya’s ex-girlfriend. Takuto Ninomiya has feelings for his roommate's ex-girlfriend. Rika Kobayakawa (Fumi Nikaido) is determined to land a job. Takayoshi Miyamoto (Masaki Okada) is critical of job-seeking activities, but he later tries to get a job.
- "UNLOCK" by KAT-TUN topped the CD Sales chart this week as well as the Hot 100.
- KAT-TUN (pronounced like "cartoon" without the r) is a Johnny's Entertainment male idol group originally named for the first letters in each member's name. However, their numbers have since dwindled from the original 6 to 4, and one of their current members Taguchi Junnosuke soon departing, it's about to be 3. The group is expected to have a hiatus in May, after their 10th anniversary tour in order to address this change. Their current single is the theme song to the currently airing television drama "Kaitou Yamaneko" (trans. "The Mysterious Thief Yamaneko") starring KAT-TUN's Kamenashi Kazuya.
- "The Mysterious Thief Yamaneko" is about a thief known as "Yamaneko" ("wildcat") that steals from evil rich people and corporations and exposes their dastardly ways.
- GENERATIONS from EXILE TRIBE's new album "SPEEDSTER" took the top spot in the album charts this week.
- Ladies SCANDAL, Silent Siren, Katou Miliyah also made valiant efforts in the album charts with the albums they debuted this week
- "MOMENT RING" by μ's topped the anime charts this week with this being their final single.
- *Pronounced "Muse," this is some fictional girl group from an anime called Love Live which is about teen idols. It's huge, and their singles are always selling for some reason (children and nerds).
- Hoshino Gen won the CD Shop Award which is awarded by the votes of CD shop clerks all over Japan. His acceptance speech made headlines after mentioning Leonardo DiCaprio, saying, "(trans) This is the first time I've won an award. I kind of thought I wouldn't ever win one, just like Leonardo DiCaprio. I'm truly grateful that I could win one the same year Leonardo DiCaprio finally won his Oscar."
- Ozawa Seiji & the Saito Kinen Orchestra's Grammy-winning "L'enfant et les sortilèges" album stayed in top spot for the second week in a row in the classical charts.
- With rumors of SMAP's split this January, their single "Sekai ni Hitotsu Dake no Hana" (trans. "The Only Flower in the World") propelled itself to 3 million copies sold.
- Perfume revealed the jacket covers for their upcoming album "COSMIC EXPLORER" and also the details of their North American tour.
- Sandaime J Soul Brothers released a new music video for "Feel So Alive" from their upcoming album "The JSB Legacy" that has a lot of people talking.
- Next week, it's expected that AKB48's "Kimi wa Melody" (trans. "You are the Melody") single will be at the top as it has been announced that it has sold 1 million copies in its first week.
39th Japan Academy Awards
"Our Little Sister" trailer:
"Living with My Mother" trailer:
Upcoming Film News
"Your Lie in April" teaser:
"Death Note 2016" teaser:
"UNLOCK" by KAT-TUN:
"The Mysterious Thief Yamaneko" trailer:
Most popular single leading up to and included in the album:
"Hard Knock Days" by GENERATIONS from EXILE TRIBE
Most recent single from the album:
"Rainy Room" by GENERATIONS from EXILE TRIBE
"MOMENT RING" by μ's single sampler:
"Feel So Alive" by Sandaime J Soul Brothers:
"Kimi wa Melody" by AKB48:
Video sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Research sources: 1 2
btw these posts are pan-japanese-media posts! your trash anime talk is ok here. also, there was a ton of bullshit i left out, so if you want to ask about anything at all regarding japanese media, i'll try to answer in the comments.
note to mods: i hope it works this time. sorry you have to sort through my big ass post.