Five-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova announces she failed a drug test at the Australian Open. pic.twitter.com/PjkrY5EOZm— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) March 7, 2016
- Said that for the last ten years she had been prescribed Mildronate/Meldonium, and for the last ten years she was taking it, it was legal.
- On January 1 it went on the banned list, and she had no idea. All tennis players are emailed before the end of the year with the list of medications that are moving to the banned list and she got it but didn't check.
- The drug is called Mildronate/Meldonium, she was perscribed on 2006 when she had several health issues, a magnesium defficiency, irregular ekg result, family history of diabetes.
- Apologizes and takes full responsibility for not making sure.
- Says she knows people thought she was gonna retire, and says that if she really was gonna announce that she'd do it in a hotel with nicer carpet lol.
Y'all are gonna get testy on this post so again, let me emphasize that for the last ten years she was taking it, it was legal, so she wasn't knowingly popping performance enhancing drugs.