Another cultural misstep for Dolce & Gabbana — offering a shoe called "Slave Sandal": https://t.co/FSCydjIGvN— Fashionista.com (@Fashionista_com) March 3, 2016
- Shoe is from Dolce & Gabbana's Spring/Summer 2016 collection.
- Decided to call it the 'Slave Sandal'.
- Currently, their website has the sandal listed as "DECORATIVE FLAT SANDAL" hmm....
- Not the first time they have displayed racist and otherwise questionable behaviour. See: IVF comments, turning black women into accessories and more that I am probably unaware of.
- Fashion industry, particularly these two, continue to be messy.
and it seems they have only changed the name on their english site, not the italian site, where alla schiava literally = slave-style (thanks mistress_f)
I'm not sure when they changed the name, I can't find any articles with that update put in. But as I can see it on their website, 'decorated flat sandal' is the new name. I want to ask why they didn't just call it that in the first place but....then I remember who we are talking about