- Oscar host Chris Rock did a skit where he introduced accountants of Pricewaterhousecoopers called “Ming Zhu, Bao Ling and David Moskowitz” and out walked three Asian (Chinese?) kids holding briefcases (Estie Kung is the girl on the right)
- after that, Rock joked, "If anybody is upset about this joke, just tweet about it on your phone, which was also made by these kids."
- Estie Kung's mother, Laura Kung, said that they only knew of the joke's premise at the audition where the children would be playing accountants. She said, "I did wonder, 'Why all Asians? But I assumed there was a bigger picture, a more complex joke given all the emphasis placed on diversity at the Oscars this year."
- the audition was super short, they only asked if Estie got stagefright and could pull a serious face
- her parents only heard the entire joke for the first time after rehearsals but they were locked in a contract. After talking to Estie, they decided that Asian presence was better than no Asian presence
- "This was not okay and should never have happened. But the angrier people are and more people talk about it, the better it will be moving forward. Estie hopes to keep acting and we all hope for a time when she can be on that stage to honor her achievement."
- Estie was not familiar with Rock's comedy (has not seen Madagascar) and did not understand the child labor joke
source: 1 no personal attacks pls