A survey suggests the line, "are we human or are we dancer?" in the song Human is the most confusing.
Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe placed fifth with the lyric: "Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad".
The top 10 also included Michael Jackson's Earth Song and Champagne Supernova by Oasis.
The Killers frontman Brandon Flowers previously revealed the lyric in Human was based on a quote from the author Hunter S. Thompson, "we're raising a generation of dancers".
"I took it and ran," Brandon said. "I guess it bothers people that it's not grammatically correct, but I think I'm allowed to do whatever I want."
The research was carried out by online streaming service Blinkbox Music, which questioned 2,000 adults.
Managing director Mark Bennett said: "It's true that song lyrics are sometimes as crazy as a box of frogs, but then that's show business. It would be a really boring world if everything was logical and made sense."
Almost two-fifths of those surveyed said they do not usually understand the words they hear in pop songs.
1. The Killers, Human "Are we human, or are we dancer?"
3. Michael Jackson, Earth Song "What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?"
5. Carly Rae Jepsen, Call Me Maybe "Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad."
7. Duran Duran, The Reflex "The reflex is an only child, he's waiting in the park."
9. Taylor Swift, Love Story -"Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet."