"Teen Wolf" Season 4 is spending a lot of time making us ask a scary question: Is Derek Hale going to die before the season finale? While obviously this is not desirable, the signs are there. Here are the reasons why Derek might be doomed.
The mid-season trailer is scary
Have you seen what happens to Derek in the mid-season trailer for "Teen Wolf" released at Comic-Con?
Derek looks awfully dead -- or at least close to it -- by the end of the trailer, something that is hardly comforting. Sure, he's been almost dead before, but how many times can a guy almost die before it sticks?
'Derek' is the third cipher key
When you want to stay alive, it's best not to have a banshee come up with your name. But that's exactly what happened in "Orphaned" when Lydia had to figure out the final cipher key for the deadpool. Previously dead characters -- Allison and Aiden -- opened the first two parts of the cipher, but no dead name seemed to work for the third.
It was only when Stiles asked Lydia to think of someone who wasn't dead yet that the code broke. This does seem to be some sort of prediction for Derek's demise.
He is losing his powers
Whatever Kate Argent did to Derek in the break between Seasons 3 and 4, it seems to be draining the werewolf's strength and other superhuman abilities. It also knocked the blue right out of Derek's eyes, which seems way ominous.
If Derek loses his werewolfiness, that puts him in plenty of danger from the many, many bad eggs who want him killed. There's a price on the guy's head, after all, and it probably doesn't matter whether or not Derek is a supernatural creature or not when death comes knocking.
Girlfriend = doom
Based on that aforementioned trailer and on some flirting seen already in Season 4, "Teen Wolf" is planning to pair up Derek with Braeden the mercenary. But dating never goes too well for Derek Hale.
Just consider Derek's history with the ladies. Back in Season 1, Kate tortured and licked the werewolf, thereby offering much of his action for about two years. The next female to enter into Derek's world was Jennifer Blake, also known as the darach. She was nothing but bad news.
Could this third girlfriend be the end for Derek? Braeden will have to work pretty hard to avoid it.
Surely someone has to die
While plenty of minor characters have bit the dust during Season 4 -- most recently Garrett and Violet, along with Meredith -- major characters have come through unscathed. That's likely to change before the Season 4 finale.
Who is most directly in the line of fire? Scott is obviously safe. Little Liam will stick around for awhile since Dylan Sprayberry has already been announced as a Season 5 regular. No one would ever get rid of Stiles for good. Kira, Malia and Lydia all have important parts to play in the drama. But Derek? Is he necessary?
Of course, he is very desirable on "Teen Wolf" but how much does the show actually need a former Alpha who spends a lot of time brooding in an obviously cursed loft?
Does "Teen Wolf" need Derek at all? If he dies, then it seems that the answer would be no.
'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan O'Brien and Shelley Hennig Tease a Rocky Future for Stiles and Malia
Teen Wolf was a huge hit at San Diego Comic Con 2014, but few actors on the show inspire more ardent fan love than Dylan O'Brien. Even though star Tyler Posey cartwheeled on stage for the panel, the roar when O'Brien took the stage was deafening. A girl asking O'Brien a question even broke down into tears.
At Comic Con 2014, O'Brien was a rock star, but newbie Shelley Hennig held her own. The two sat down with reporters after the show's packed panel to talk about the Stiles and Malia relationship, that pesky secret Stiles knows, and just what's in store for our favorite new lovebirds as season four unfolds.
- What's next for the characters? Apparently Stiles and Malia experience their first fight.
- Hennig describes it as adorable. "You're going to love it," O'Brien says. "I mean we break up and it's violent, but you're going to love it."
- It's the first bump in the road for the couple, so we'll get to see how they handle it.
- Hennig thinks Stiles would be the last person Peter would want Malia to date.
- Stiles doesn't get why they keep Peter around because he's crazy and violent. He doesn't know it's a show and Ian Bohen is a great actor they want to keep around.
- O'Brien says he loved playing Dark Stiles, it was a really fun thing to try, although he wishes he could get another try at it.
- He loves playing a human on the show. He thinks the Dark Stiles arc was perfect because they got to tamper with Stiles, but then revert him back to a human. If Stiles turned into a supernatural creature then everyone would be on the show.
- Stiles is teaching Malia how to evolve as a human. They become a team.
- "We have a work relationship and a home relationship and we separate them very well."
- We will learn a little more about Malia's backstory, but that's all she can say.
- Dylan O'Brien guessed who the Benefactor was in the fourth episode of the season. "I could have just guessed Roger and then they wrote in a guy named Roger," O'Brien said of whether or not the Benefactor was a character we already know.
- The Stilinski family finances makes the characters more relatable, these things sometimes get lost in supernatural shows.
- They love all the stuff about Malia suddenly having to understand math.
- Hennig and O'Brien would both like to do more action and more physical stunts.
- "Going into season five, this could be our last one, so I just hope its everything that the show is. Focus on the relationships, and maybe some action."
- Dylan loves the idea of Stiles dodging behind Malia and letting her take care of the action. "Go, baby, go!"