Artists including Arctic Monkeys and Adele face their videos being removed from YouTube. The site is set to begin a "mass cull" of videos by artists on independent record labels due to their refusal to sign up to new licensing terms, reports the Financial Times.
YouTube are introducing a tiered system, including a new subscription service, as part of their existing apps and websites. Users choosing to pay a monthly fee will be able to watch videos and listen to music without adverts, even when they're offline.
The company, which is owned by Google, will begin blocking videos that don't comply with the new terms from the site "in a matter of days", according to Robert Kyncl, YouTube's head of content and business operations.
YouTube will begin internally testing the new format within Google in the coming days. Kyncl asserts that 90% of record labels have signed up to the new terms, while the remaining 10% will be blocked from the platform.
He said, "While we wish that we had 100 per cent success rate, we understand that is not likely an achievable goal and therefore it is our responsibility to our users and the industry to launch the enhanced music experience."
Independent record labels including XL Recordings (Adele, The XX) and Domino (Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand) are among the non-compliant companies who disagree with Kyncl's claims of paying them "fairly and consistently with the industry".
YouTube currently attracts over a billion monthly visitors. Kyncl failed to go into detail about the new contractual terms.
Musician Billy Bragg has already criticised the move, saying: "I don't know why they've opened this hornet's nest right now, apart from corporate hubris. I don't think they realise what a stupid thing they've done."
ONTD, do you know how to prepare a steak without helpful instructions of AM's music videos?