Acceptance speeches at any awards show are viewed as a necessary evil, often referred to as “that stuff that happens when Tina Fey and Amy Poehler aren’t onstage.” But at this years’ Golden Globes, the speeches were a main attraction, with some being thoughtful, some being funny others being funny and then a few that were plain indecipherable.
Just in case you missed the speeches, here are a few highlights.
1. “And I actually did watch all of the movies… well, not all of them, but you know what I mean.” -Jennifer Lawrence, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture, American Hustle
5. “I also went to med school and then decided to do this and this is way better, way better than saving a human life.” -Dan Goor, Best Television Series Comedy or Musical, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
7. “The bravest, most talented actor I have ever worked with. And the only reason you are not here is I had more sequins.” -Michael Douglas, Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television Movie, Behind the Candelabra
8. “I am always supposed to cry when I am not supposed to, and when a director asked me to, I can’t. It really sucks.” – Amy Adams, Best Performance by and Actress in a Musical or Comedy, American Hustle
9. “Such a lovely way to say goodbye to the show that meant so much to me.” – Bryan Cranston, Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series: Drama, Breaking Bad
11. Everything Jacqueline Bisset Said – Jacqueline Bisset, Best Performance in an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, Dancing on the Edge
These include such gems as:
“Scottish background, to the front!”
“My mother used to say, ‘Go to hell and don’t come back.’ ”
“You have to forgive everybody. It’s the best beauty treatment.”
More at the Source