Nashville Artists Collaborate for 32-Track Civil War Songs Tribute
Loretta Lynn, Chris Stapleton, Dolly Parton, Lee Ann Womack, Ashley Monroe, Vince Gill, Jamey Johnson and Cowboy Jack Clement are among stars recognizing the 150th anniversary of the Civil War in a forthcoming two-disc tribute released by ATO Records and music supervisor Randall Poster (Moonrise Kingdom; Boardwalk Empire; Rave On Buddy Holly).
Titled Divided & United, the fall 2013 release will feature fresh interpretations of many period parlor songs, spirituals, abolition and minstrel tunes.
Poster was inspired to develop the collection while working in Nashville for the film Country Strong. After extensive research and the help of bluegrass guitarist Bryan Sutton, Poster was able to assemble the titles and artists
“This record aspires to erase the legacy of segregation and through music seeks reconciliation instead, in order to celebrate a great musical heritage of America, born in pain, war and prejudice,” notes John Cohen, whose essay is also included in the collection.
Rolling Stone has a clip of Lynn’s “Take Your Gun and Go, John” here.
Divided & United Track Listing:
1. Take Your Gun and Go, John – Loretta Lynn
2. Lorena - Del McCoury
3. Wildwood Flower – Sam Amidon
4. Hell’s Broke Loose In Georgia – Bryan Sutton
5. Two Soldiers – Ricky Skaggs
6. Marching Through Georgia – Old Crow Medicine Show
7. Dear Old Flag – Vince Gill
8. Just Before the Battle, Mother/ Farewell, Mother – Steve Earle and Dirk Powell
9. The Fall Of Charleston – Shovels & Rope
10. Tenting on the Old Campground - John Doe
11. Day Of Liberty – Carolina Chocolate Drops
12. Richmond Is a Hard Road to Travel – Chris Thile and Michael Daves
13. Two Brothers – Chris Stapleton
14. The Faded Coat Of Blue – Norman Blake, Nancy Blake and James Bryan
15. Listen to the Mockingbird – Stuart Duncan feat. Dolly Parton
16. Kingdom Come – Pokey Lafarge
1. Rebel Soldier – Jamey Johnson
2. The Legend of the Rebel Soldier – Lee Ann Womack
3. The Mermaid Song – Jorma Kaukonen
4. Dixie – Karen Elson with Secret Sisters
5. The Vacant Chair – Ralph Stanley
6. Hard Times – Chris Hillman
7. Down By the Riverside – Taj Mahal
8. Old Folks at Home/ The Girl I Left Behind Me – Noam Pikelny & David Grisman
9. Secesh – The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band
10. The Battle of Antietam - T Bone Burnett
11. Pretty Saro – Ashley Monroe
12. Aura Lee - Joe Henry
13. Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier – AA Bondy
14. When Johnny Comes Marching Home – Angel Snow
15. Battle Cry of Freedom - Bryan Sutton
16. Beautiful Dreamer – Cowboy Jack Clement
There are a lot of great artists contributing to this, but I don't know how well it will be received.