"It’s party time in Harlan County: FX has renewed Justified for a fifth season.
The cabler broke the news at its annual upfront presentation Thursday morning in New York, one of several big announcements coming out of the event.
Justified wraps up its current fourth season (the show’s highest-rated yet) on Tuesday. Season 5 will bow in January 2014."
Other headlines from FX’s upfront soiree:
* FX’s spin-off net, FXX, launches Sept. 2 and will target young adults 18-34 (vs. FX’s 18-49). The new channel, which replaces Fox Soccer, will be anchored by soon-to-be-former FX staples It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (renewed for a 10th season) and The League (renewed for a fifth and sixth season). Legit (renewed for Season 2) and Totally Biased with Kamau Bell (morphing into a five-times-a-week series) will also relocate to FXX.
* FX’s new branding tagline is… ”Fearless.”
* Season 2 of recently-renewed drama The Americans will premiere in January 2014.
* As per tradition, American Horror Story: Coven — the third chapter in Ryan Murphy’s creeptastic anthology — will roll out in time for Halloween.
* The fourth season of Louie will debut in May 2014.
* The new Diane Kruger-Demián Bichir drama The Bridge premieres in July; a trailer played at the upfront looked dark, gritty and thus FX-like..
* FX has formally greenlit a limited series based on the 1996 pic Fargo. Joel and Ethan Coen, who helmed the film, will produce. Production begins in December.
* The pilot for Guillermo del Toro’s The Strain, EP’d by del Toro and Lost‘s Carlton Cuse, starts production this summer. Landgraf said the prospective series will “reinvent the vampire horror drama,” while del Toro promises “a unique biological approach” to vampirism.
this season is ending too soon!